LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Feb. 28, 2020) – Disney’s Hollywood Studios is on a roll.
As part of a historic multiyear transformation, the Walt Disney World Resort theme park has unveiled a years-long string of smash hits that would make any movie studio jealous, inviting guests inside some of their favorite stories. Now a new family-friendly adventure is about to begin as Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway readies its grand premiere, March 4, 2020, inside the park’s re-creation of the Chinese Theatre.
That majestic theater has stood at the heart of the park since its opening day on May 1, 1989, when Disney’s Hollywood Studios gave guests a behind-the-scenes look at moviemaking. The park has since evolved into a place that envelops guests in even more immersive experiences – from exploring a new planet in the Star Wars galaxy to playing like a toy with Woody and Buzz Lightyear to learning from Lightning McQueen how to be a champion racer, and much more.
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a crowning achievement in this transformation, bringing guests into the wacky world of a “Mickey Mouse” cartoon where “mouse rules apply” and anything can happen. The vibrant attraction adds to the array of immersive new experiences propelling Disney’s Hollywood Studios into the future.
“From the early days of making movies to today’s focus on engaging guests, putting them in the story, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has followed an amazing arc across three decades,” said Phil Holmes, vice president of the park. “I’m thrilled with its transformation and look forward to an exciting future. Given all the new attractions, our message to guests is clear: let your adventures begin at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.”
What’s New Around Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Imagine being inside a “Mickey Mouse” cartoon short! Anything can happen aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, where guests burst through the movie screen and join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and pals on a wacky adventure. This first ride-through attraction themed to Mickey and Minnie features dazzling visual effects, a lovable new theme song and surprising twists and turns that are fun for the entire family.
- The newly reimagined Mickey Shorts Theater debuts March 4, 2020, with a one-of-a-kind animated short featuring Mickey and Minnie, “Vacation Fun,” celebrating those true originals’ favorite vacation memories, plus a few new adventures. “Vacation Fun” is exclusive to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and includes new animation as well as clips from favorite “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts. After the show, guests can make even more memories by stepping into life-sized versions of beloved animated “Mickey Mouse” shorts, where they can pose for photos with family and friends.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is an expansive and immersive experience that transports guests to the distant planet of Batuu, where they live their own Star Wars adventures inside a 14-acre land. Guests join a climactic battle between the Resistance and the First Order in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. They also build their own droids or craft lightsabers, discover exotic food and drink, and explore Black Spire Outpost in search of rare antiquities.
- Woody, Jessie, Buzz and other fun-loving characters from Pixar Animation Studios’ Toy Storywelcome guests to Toy Story Land in the larger-than-life outdoor setting of Andy’s backyard. Amid giant-size toys, guests feel like “honorary toys” as they experience the family-friendly roller coaster Slinky Dog Dash, take a spin on Alien Swirling Saucers and enjoy the 4D fun of Toy Story Mania!
- At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, guests learn what it takes to be a champion racer. Lightning McQueen, star of Pixar’s Carsfilms, uses state-of-the-art technology and a massive wraparound screen to teach the rules of the road as guests become rookie racers in this new show experience.
- With its pulsing lights and singalong-worthy songs, the new Disney Junior Dance Party! invites kids to jump, twirl and move their feet with characters from Disney Junior television series live onstage. Doc McStuffins, Vampirina, Timon and Mickey Mouse lead the fun of this high-energy show.
Coming Soon to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- A new table-service restaurant will debut later in 2020 inside Toy Story Land. Roundup Rodeo BBQ Restaurant will invite guests to a rootin’, tootin’ rodeo right in Andy’s backyard. Guests will be immersed with all their favorite toy pals in the Western atmosphere of Woody’s Roundup, providing a fun, family-friendly dining experience that appears to be constructed from Andy’s favorite larger-than-life play sets and games – something that could only happen in Toy Story Land!
For Disney Resort Guests, Traveling to Disney’s Hollywood Studios Is Half the Fun
To easily access all this fun and excitement, guests staying at select Disney resort hotels can float into Disney’s Hollywood Studios aboard the new Disney Skyliner, a state-of-the-art gondola system that connects the park (and Epcot) to Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Riviera Resort. Soaring along the treetops of Walt Disney World Resort, guests discover views never seen before as they prepare to let their adventures begin at the newly transformed Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
View on WDWNews.com.