Always-on network of editorial voices, 300+ social media channels, and curated influencers open up new opportunities for advertisers to align with Disney’s stories and characters on digital platforms
Slate of new digital-first shows, including “Science & Star Wars,” “Club Mickey Mouse,” and more to launch across Disney Digital Network in 2017
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – (May 2, 2017) – Today, Disney unveiled the Disney Digital Network to the advertising and digital media community at the IAB Digital Content NewFronts. Disney Digital Network creates high quality, digital-first stories and delivers them through digital platforms and influencers to Millennial and Gen Z audiences. The network, which reaches over one billion followers, is made up of distinct editorial voices, more than 300 social media channels that bring The Walt Disney Company’s characters and stories to social feeds, and a curated set of Maker creators and influencers. The network also includes Disney’s in-house branded content service, Disney Co/Op.
“With an audience of over one billion highly-engaged followers, the Disney Digital Network is one of the most impactful publishers in digital media,” said Jimmy Pitaro, Chairman, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media. “This network extends our stories to the platforms Gen Z and Millennial audiences are on every day, with diverse editorial voices that integrate top creators and influencers.”
DISNEY DIGITAL NETWORK EDITORIAL VOICES
Disney Digital Network’s portfolio of editorial voices includes:
● Oh My Disney, the ultimate digital destination for a daily dose of Disney, capturing the zeitgeist of what is happening in the moment through a Disney lens.
● Disney Style, which explores the intersection of beloved Disney stories and characters with what’s trending in fashion, nail art, hairstyles, cosmetics, and more.
● Disney Family brings parents and children together through the wonderful world of Disney crafts, DIYs, recipes, and activities featuring their favorite characters and stories.
● Babble, which has assembled some of the most vital and vibrant voices in the parenting community to share their experiences and give readers a forum to bond and learn.
● Polaris, which features original content from a community of gaming personalities, including a mix of talk shows, animation, and games-to-life content, in a tone that reflects gaming culture’s broad influence over popular culture.
● Star Wars.com and Star Wars app, the digital destinations for all things Star Wars. The network programs content for Star Wars fans of all ages through Star Wars social and digital platforms.
These editorial voices were developed to connect digital audiences with both Disney and non-Disney content across websites and social channels on all major platforms. These voices leverage a range of storytelling formats including videos, articles, micro-content, and more, resulting in thousands of content pieces every month.
In addition to these voices and the social channels that extend them, the network also includes more than 300 social channels for all of Disney’s stories, characters, and brands. These social handles, which span from Mickey Mouse to The Muppets and more, bring classic and new Disney stories to social feeds around the world everyday, providing a daily connection point with fans.
The network also offers a highly-curated and hand-selected set of top video creators and social media influencers. Disney is now able to leverage the creators’ unique voices and content across these editorial brands and is also able to create original programming around these highly-influential creators. Advertisers will be able to tap into the authentic voices and audiences each creator brings, both through Disney and non-Disney branded content.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR ADVERTISERS
Disney Co/Op, the in-house branded content service within the Disney Digital Network, pairs Disney digital storytellers with advertisers looking to create custom campaigns. Branded content is then programmed alongside the always-on content across the editorial voices on all platforms.
Disney Co/Op also leverages deep partnerships with top social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook through Facebook Anthology, which pairs publishers with Facebook advertising insights. Several new Facebook Anthology video programs will launch later this year.
“This network is our response to how our advertising partners have been telling us they want to engage audiences: with high-quality content, mobile formats including micro-content and short-form video, social media influencers, and diverse distribution options across all major platforms,” said Rita Ferro, President of Sales, Disney-ABC Television Group. “We can now connect these opportunities with first-party data, proprietary insights, quality of service, and brand safety. This is something only Disney can deliver and we are excited to bring this incredible opportunity to the advertising community.”
Disney is actively pairing the digital content creation and programming capabilities of Disney Digital Network with The Walt Disney Company’s broadcast and cable assets across ABC, Disney Channel, and others, so that advertising partners can reach vast audiences across all media platforms.
The slate of new, original digital video programs that will be available across Disney Digital Network in 2017 and beyond includes:
● Science and Star Wars: An episodic series that explores, explains, and demonstrates the parallels between the science fantasy of Star Wars and the real-world scientific breakthroughs the saga has inspired. Join show host Anthony Carboni and his rotating roster of IBM Researchers, scientific experts, guest stars, and Watson, to explore and experiment with technology that isn’t so far, far away anymore. Presented by IBM; Facebook exclusive through Facebook Anthology.
● Oh My Disney Show, Season 2: Comedy, news, trends, and sketches combine in this always-on show built for every Disney fan’s feed.
● Club Mickey Mouse: Club Mickey Mouse is a digital-first variety show that celebrates the original show of yesteryear but brings it into the present-day with a diverse cast of talented young creators, and, of course, everyone’s favorite mouse. Presented by HP Inc.; Facebook exclusive through Facebook Anthology.
● Disney IRL: Oh My Disney brings iconic animated Disney characters and moments to real life, surprising people on location and our viewers at home.
● COIN: COIN is an animated action-comedy on Polaris with a distinct, game-inspired aesthetic that follows a team of misfits tasked to save their world. Brought together by time traveling robot Crohnobot, Donovan (a gruff plumber quick to anger), Kid Victory (a master of weaponry), and the Sisters Vicious (twin masters of illusion who hate each other) must defeat super-villain Gamovah and retrieve the coin of Chorder before it’s too late.
● Disney Design Challenge: The best and brightest young designers are invited to push the boundaries of their art form to create beautiful, innovative, and memorable works inspired by Disney films. In the first season, we challenge students in the fashion design program at Otis College of Art and Design to create an eight-look clothing line inspired by Disney’s “Frozen.”
● Disney Magical Starts: This show is for the parents who want to spend more time creating experiences with their kids, but don’t know where to start. Our host parents and their kids help you tackle every day, and every new season, from holidays to back-to-school, with meal ideas, activities, crafts, tips, and more. And with a little help from our beloved Disney characters, family time is even more magical.
About Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) that brings our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games. DCPI comprises four main lines of business: Global Licensing, Disney Retail, Publishing and Digital Media, and Games, Apps, and Labs. The segment is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
Press Contacts for Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media:
Bahareh Ramin, 310-779-3031
Sarissa Thrower, 323-308-5374