Exhibition Sponsors Join the Celebration with Experiential Activations
GLENDALE, Calif.—NOV. 1, 2018—Disney announced today more details surrounding the ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition,’ which opens on Nov. 8 in New York City, including commemorative merchandise and unique experiences brought to life by exhibition sponsors, including Google Home, Beats by Dr. Dre (Beats) and Brooklyn-based creamery Ample Hills Creamery.
To commemorate this one-of-a-kind experience, the Mickey: The True Original Exhibition will feature Mickey’s Maker Shop, a retail store that will offer exhibition-branded merchandise, timed product drops throughout the run, select pieces from 90th anniversary ‘True Original’ capsule collections currently available at retail, and custom products personalized on-site. The shop will be open to the public; exhibition tickets are not required for entry. Highlights of the shop include:
- ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ Collection– The retail store feature a collection celebrating Mickey’s transcendent impact on popular culture and art with a diverse assortment of exhibition-themed apparel, souvenirs and stationery products. Guests will find Mickey ear hats featuring chapters in Mickey’s story and the exhibition logo, which can be customized on-site. Additionally, women’s, men’s and kid’s T-shirts and fleece, notebooks, totes, lanyards and pen sets will be available for purchase. The store will also offer high-end collectible items from exhibition artists like James Jean.
- Timed Product Releases- On select Saturday mornings from November 10 – February 10, the exhibition will release products including pin sets, Medicom Be@rbricks, and Funko collectibles. Quantities vary and will only be available while supplies last. Follow @MickeyTrueOriginal on Instagram for the latest updates on limited-edition product releases.
- ‘The True Original’ 90th Anniversary Capsule Collections- The store will feature select pieces from anniversary collections with ‘true original’ brands including rag & bone, New Era Cap, Vault by Vans, Sugarfina, TASCHEN, Polaroid, and more. Products from exhibition sponsors will also be available, including Mickey Mouse-themed accessories for Google Home devices and Mickey Mouse-branded Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones.
As previously announced, the rag & bone X Disney Mickey Mouse collection will be worn by Disney cast members working the Exhibition.
- Customized Products- Inspired by Mickey’s spirit of creativity and originality, Mickey’s Maker Shop will feature a lab-like retail experience that allows guests to customize souvenirs to commemorate their visit. Using special patches and embroidery, guests will be able to personalize a variety of items including T-shirts, hats from New Era Cap and Mickey Mouse ear hats.
The retail store is open Tuesdays – Sundays from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. (closed Mondays). Exhibition tickets are not required to access the shop. A limited number of items from the collection will be available for purchase on shopDisney.com when the exhibition opens on November 8.
“We can’t wait to open the doors to ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ and invite our Guests into this truly spectacular experiential world,” says Ken Potrock, President, Consumer Products Commercialization; Disney Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products. “This is just the beginning as we create immersive experiences that bring our consumers closer to the characters, products and content they love.”
Additionally, details of official Exhibition sponsors have been revealed, including interactive moments featured throughout the experience brought to life by Google Home, Beats by Dre and Ample Hills Creamery. Moments elements include:
- With the help of Google Home, exhibition guests will be invited to join in a special game show with Mickey Mouse and his friends. Each player will be paired up with one of Mickey’s friends (Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Donald, Daisy) as their pal to answer trivia questions about Mickey’s adventures over the years. Fans who aren’t able to attend the exhibition can still play the game with Mickey and friends using Google Home. Just say, “Hey Google, play Mickey’s Game Show” to get started.
- Following the launch of Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones – Mickey Mouse’s 90th Anniversary Edition, Beats will continue to celebrate Mickey and his influence on the artist community with integration into the Exhibition lounge. Designed by Beats, the space will showcase imagery and videos from the collaboration’s campaign featuring talent including Anne-Marie, Lil Yachty and more, shot by famed Polaroid photographer Maripol.
- Brooklyn-based and family-owned ice cream maker Ample Hills Creamery will share complimentary scoops of birthday cake ice cream from their Disney Mickey Mouse Collection. Guests can sample two out of the three flavors. Serving Confetti Celebration, a sweet cream ice cream with chunks of colorful confetti cake, ribbons of yellow buttercream frosting and yellow Mickey-shaped white chocolate truffles filled with tangy lemon cream and Triple Chocolate Surprise, a chocolate malted ice cream with chunks of chocolate fudge cake, swirls of dark chocolate buttercream frosting, and Mickey-shaped white chocolate pieces filled with fudge. All flavors are available to purchase online and in Ample Hills scoop shops.
As the official mobility team for the exhibition, Alexander’s Mobility Services, an interstate agent for Atlas® Van Lines, provided safe, on-point delivery of exhibition components including new original artworks based around Mickey Mouse.
About “Mickey: The True Original Exhibition”
Commemorating Mickey Mouse’s 90th anniversary, this one-of-a-kind exhibition will include historic and original artwork, interactive multi-sensory experiences, photo opportunities galore and Disney magic around every corner. Running from November 8, 2018 – February 10, 2019, ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ will be open Tuesday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 60 10th Avenue, New York. Tickets are available for $38 per person at Disney.com/MickeyTrueOriginal. With selected time slots already selling out for its November debut, guests are encouraged to plan early.
For more on the exhibition and behind-the-scenes content, visit Disney.com/MickeyTrueOriginal and follow @MickeyTrueOriginal on Instagram with #MickeyTrueOriginal.
About Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Celebration
Since his big-screen debut in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, Mickey has become the global ambassador for The Walt Disney Company. The 90-year celebration of Mickey includes new brand and product collaborations spanning fashion, food, consumer electronics, toys, accessories and more, a star-studded special on ABC airing November 4, a new season of Mickey Mouse animated shorts on Disney Channel, and more.
Images for download: https://dcpi.smugmug.com/Franchises/DMCE/Mickeys-90th-Product-Gallery/n-HB425c/
About Disney Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products
Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) that brings the magic of Disney’s stories, characters and franchises into the daily lives of families and fans around the world to create memories that last a lifetime. The company’s iconic travel and leisure businesses include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe, and Asia; a top-rated cruise line; a luxurious family beach resort in Hawaii; a popular vacation ownership program; and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business; the world’s largest children’s print publisher; Disney Store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform. These experiences are created by Walt Disney Imagineering, the innovative force responsible for overseeing the segment’s world-class products and experiences — from immersive lands to interactive toys, and everything in between.
Laura K. Jalaie